How can we live a happy and fulfilling life?
This is about the teachings we need to practice to live a happy and fulfilling life – has nothing to do with religion! These principles just so happen to come from the Buddhas.
Below are 6 Simple Buddhist Principals That, if Practiced Regularly, Can Change Your Life!
1. Consume mindfully.
- Take a mindful breath before you start to eat anything.
- Eat with awareness and gratitude.
- Pause before shopping and see if breathing is enough.
- Pay attention to the effects of the media you consume, including music lyrics!
2. Pause. Breathe. Listen.
- When you feel compelled to speak in a meeting or conversation, pause. Breath, and then speak if you still think you need to.
- Take a deep breath before entering your home, your car, and any other place, including before getting into bed.
- Ask your body what it needs and listen to what it communicates to with you.
- Listen to the people you encounter. They are Buddhas.
3. Practice gratitude.
- Notice what you have and take care of it, enjoy it.
- Be equally grateful for opportunities and challenges.
- Share joy, not negativity.
- The more you pay attention to all of the great things in your life, the less you want, and the happier you are.
4. Cultivate compassion and loving kindness.
- Cultivate compassion and kindness for yourself and then share it with the world.
- Practice and learn to love yourself, and make self-care a top priority.
- Notice where help is needed and be quick to help.
- Travel the world, look at things from other people’s perspectives.
- Connect with others in a meaningful way, compliment others. Smile!
- Give a hug to anyone who needs it and wants it.
- Create and nurture your happy place.
- Give your absolute best, when doing anything. Like brushing your teeth and performing your tasks at work.
- Work for peace, at many levels, for everyone. “Live and let live!”
5. Seek and discover wisdom.
- Cultivate a joyously creative and curious mind.
- If you don’t know something, admit it, and research to learn more.
- Find connections between Buddhist teachings and your life.
- Be open to what arises in every moment.
- Turn your attention towards yourself; sit in silence and listen. The answers you seek are within!
6. Accept and embrace constant change.
- Nothing lasts forever. As these sayings go, “This too shall pass.” And “It is, what it is.”
These words were inspired by a WisdomAwakened blog post, and expanded upon by me!